Balancing Soda Can on Its Edge
A Peculiar Playdate #10 ∙ Published May 10, 2019
Balancing soda can is a simple experiment in the sense that it does not require any additional kit. All you need is an actual soda can. Despite that, it takes quite a few tries to master it. This experiment showcases one of the most profound concepts in physics – the center of gravity (or center of mass). It is a winner amongst kids too! Learn together how to do it and impress everyone on the next playdate you attend!
What you need
- A soda can 🙂
How to make it
Take a full can and pour (or drink) just a bit of a liquid out
Try placing on its edge 🙂
As promised – the soda can stays on edge 🙂
Why it happens
It works because there is an balanced amount of liquid that twists the can over and at the same time pulls it back. It is all about finding that center of gravity, which is basically an imaginary vertical line that goes through the can and into the table at a 90 degrees.
Feathers in exchange for prizes
While working on this playdate idea, our Keedoo Parrot has lost two feathers 😔 Please help us! Collect them by bringing this idea to life with your kids, and we will gratefully exchange them for valuable prizes.
- Try making this experiment
- Share your experience on Instagram or Facebook
- Mention @getkeedoo in comments
- Nominate two families to do the same
- We will contact you to add two feathers to your Keedoo account that you can exchange for prizes in our mobile app
- Follow @getkeedoo on Instagram to see new prizes
Spread the word 🙌